There is nothing that takes me from soothing Soul spirit to….crazy monster….faster than being so hungry I could eat an entire restaurant! As you find yourself more active this Spring, are you eating on the go, or are you prepared?
It’s happened to all of us. You know the feeling – you are away from home running errands, or you are out late because you had to stay at work longer. And you realize that you are hungry. Not just a little hungry though. You haven’t eaten for hours, your head is starting to throb, and you can’t even think straight.
That hairy eyeball look takes over, you start swearing at cute puppies crossing the street and then you begin foaming at the mouth at the thought of even the grossest food. You need to EAT – IMMEDIATELY!
As you survey your options, you realize that getting something to eat that is even remotely healthy is going to be nearly impossible. But you have little choice, so you grab some (or a lot of) fast food to get you through.
And just like that you have put food into your body that will lower your immune response, raise your blood sugar, reduce your energy and contribute to weight gain. I lied earlier. Nothing can take me from soothing Soul spirit to crazy monster faster than the guilt trip I put on myself for not eating well. Again.
There IS A Solution!
- Make a list of healthy, on-the-go foods that you enjoy eating. Make sure that you include a variety of things with healthy fats, protein and carbs that satisfy you. If it doesn’t give you pleasure to eat it, leave it off the list – that will not fix “hangry!”
Here are some ideas to help you get started. (These are vegan choices, but if that is not your lifestyle, just add what you consider healthy and balanced.)
· Nuts and nut butters that you can squeeze from the little packets onto a quick banana, celery stick or whole grain cracker
· Raw Veggies. Chop them and put them in grab and go containers. Let them fulfill your crunchy, juicy craving.
· Fruit is natures favorite fast food! There is very little clean up and preparation work with most fruit. Just eat it!
Sometimes rather than being hungry you are actually thirsty. Try getting some water into your body to hold you over and prevent dehydration!
- Take action! Buy the food on your list and have it available! Commit to trying new fruits and veggies. Hey – there is nothing wrong with being a healthy food snob. Go for the starfruit!
- Plan ahead. Set aside some time to wash, chop, prepare and store anything you find delights your taste buds. Make this chore a joyful one while knowing you are taking good care of your body, mind and Soul by providing yourself nutrients!
The happy result is that when you are out and realize you are hungry, you will not have to eat food from a restaurant. You will have an assortment of healthy and energy boosting foods at your fingertips. And, small dogs, children and your own sanity stay just a little bit safer.
PS. It is always recommended that you show up for your next massage with just a little something in your belly – not a large meal. Your body will naturally want to digest when you relax and you do not want excessive digestion activity interfering with your enjoyment. 🙂
Melanie A. Wood-Scureman, MA, LMT, PRYT-P, owner and founder of Soul Ease Massage and Mind Body Therapy, is an intuitive mentor and massage therapist with a background in psychology, health, and wellness.